- All contributors must be a registered member of the Backpacker Travel community with a complete profile. If you haven’t already registered, you can do so here www.backpackertravel.org/join.
- Upload a profile photo of yourself on www.gravatar.com using the same email and password as your Backpacker Travel profile you created in Step 1.
- Send us a one-paragraph author bio that you would like used.
- Articles MUST be unique. Do not repost content from your own blog, or any other blog, website, or print media.
- No text-only articles. Images, videos, and infographics are generally a lot more powerful than words when it comes to travel. See below for more details about sizing, quality, formatting, and copyright.
- Where possible, use keyword links to other relevant articles on the Backpacker Travel site. All outbound links must be approved by the editor. We DO NOT allow links to commercial websites you are affiliated with unless it is a sponsored article.
- Use headings to break up different sections. This will make your article easier to skim read.
- Check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use a browser extension like www.grammarly.com
- We use American English spelling and the Oxford Comma on Backpacker Travel.
- Articles with multiple mistakes will be rejected.
- We strive to only publish content that is useful, inspiring, and entertaining so before submitting your article, ask yourself, “is this something I would want to read myself and would I be happy sharing it with my friends?”
- Refrain from using profanity or excessive slang in your article.
- Check and verify that all information is factual prior to submitting your draft.
- The editor reserves the final right to make changes to any article.
Photos and Videos
- By submitting a draft, you confirm that you have the authority to publish any media (photos, videos, infographics). Any copyright infringement actions will be your sole responsibility and not that of Backpacker Travel.
- Any stock photos, not taken by you or someone you have authority from, must be listed under a Creative Commons license with attribution where necessary.
- You must provide a title and caption for each image.
- Name your image files using underscores (no spaces). Describe the image and don’t use numbers or special characters. Eg. girl_on_beach
Places to source stock photos
Common Dimensions for images
Please make sure to follow the size instructions below when submitting your photo as small images or images with poor resolution will be automatically rejected.
Landscape images must be 900px wide
Portrait images must be 600px wide
We recommend resizing your images using www.befunky.com